Tuesday, January 31, 2012

MP Reflections: Joel

While doing the elliptical in the gym today, I was inspired by Leila to read. Since I had not brought a book, I listened to my ipod and read through Joel on my Bible app. Now, I was definitely distracted when I read it, so spare me of the trivial nature of these reflections, but I still found Joel very refreshing during my workout. I've been thinking a lot lately about the second coming. Anticipating it, longing for it, as if I was in a perpetual Advent season (and we all really are). So re-reading Joel and some commentaries on it seems to fit right into the way God is speaking to me this week. Joel uses an example of a recent plague to prophesy the coming of the Day of the Lord. We see that repentence is mandatory, but it is not a negative reasoning for such. Joel calls us to repent because God is gracious, patient and good! Truly!
The destruction of the people and their land is devastating. My nose was crinkled in disgust as I read and was sad for them. I am like the people of Israel who needed destruction in order to see the NEED for repentance. I find the prophesy of Joel to be encouraging. The Day of the Lord will come. I know it well. 
In Joel 2 we even see that God will "repay" us for the years of drought and lost fruit. He will multiply our bounty, but we must repent. and the reward lies ultimately on the other side of the grave.

Joel 2:12-13
12 “Even now,” declares the LORD,
   “return to me with all your heart,
   with fasting and weeping and mourning.”
 13 Rend your heart
   and not your garments.
Return to the LORD your God,
   for he is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and abounding in love,
   and he relents from sending calamity. 

  The Lord dwells in Zion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment