SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (1954) Starring: Howard Keel and Jane Powell
I adore technicolor era films (1930s-60s). But musicals and lumberjacks and pretty dresses and dance/fight scenes combined make me swoon. This is an absolutely perfect musical in all formats and the plot is impeccable. I find it really exciting that all of the men are redheads, all the women long to be June brides, and all of the fathers are protective. This movie has always really resonated with me. The frontier lifestyle, and Milly's care to tame the brothers are admirable.

Some of my other favorites include but are definitely not limited to: Guys and Dolls, Penelope, Pride and Prejudice, Real Genius, Benny and Joon, The Other Sister, and Into the Wild. This year I really wanted to work with my AP Lit teacher to start a partial credit film club open to seniors, but it seems that our schedules might make that kind of impossible. She has a baby boy, and I have my stressful schedule, but alas the thought is nice. In college (which I got my first acceptance to today) I want to take as many film courses as possible. Maybe some French, and Film Noir.
My National History Day project, you might recall, was on the invention of the Kalmus Technicolor Corp. film process. It was incredibly facinating. Technicolor created an inexpensive market for large scale productions to be shot in. Snow White was one of the first Disney films that used the process. And Gone with the Wind was the longest and most well known movie that utilized the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment