Today's sermon was on Acts 8: 9-25 and naming the root idols of our heart. The passage was about Simon the Sorcerer and his obsession with power. Martin used this to discuss 4 source idols that we worship.
Jesus requires exclusive worship. He alone is KING. But we all have our idols.
1. Power
2. Control
3. Approval
4. Comfort
1. Power
2. Control
3. Approval
4. Comfort
My idol is most definitely control. The "polishing your halo before you read your Bible" kind of control that I desire over perfection. But you know what, I am NOT God. It might sound silly, but I forget that almost every day. Because my idol is control, I have the tendency to make others feel condemned around me. Which I totally saw this semester when someone told me that I was too deep and too spiritual. While I disagree with the person, I understand that their claim has legitimacy because I was probably unintentionally condemning them with my "better" works. So, I will endeavor to be more encouraging and praising so that my control does not condemn. 1John 5:21 says, "Dear children, keep yourselves from idols." We must shine light on our idols and JESUS will scatter the darkness.
Here's the projects: dig deep. get specific. (because the Gospel gives you permission) and name your idol.
Here's the promise: Jesus says that there is no deep place that He is not still deeper. He goes with us. When we reach the bottom, He is there saying, "I love you. I forgive you. My resurrection is your destiny."
Here's the projects: dig deep. get specific. (because the Gospel gives you permission) and name your idol.
Here's the promise: Jesus says that there is no deep place that He is not still deeper. He goes with us. When we reach the bottom, He is there saying, "I love you. I forgive you. My resurrection is your destiny."
So, here's the song I listen to when I slip into controlling. I use it as a prayer to God, when my words are not enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment