For Intro to Art this semester, our third project was to copy a master. We were tasked with choosing an artist from our professors list and then copying one of their works with the dimensions 30"x20". I debated over this watercolor and the one I chose for a long time. Finally, Bedouins was my decision. I have never worked with watercolor before, but thought "Why not give it a go. A grade is a grade, and if the effort warrants an A then good job...If not, then oh well." I spent about 11 hours total on this painting and am very proud of it. Watercolor is a very hard medium....and Sargent was a master. I don't think comparing them makes mine look too good, but not too shabby for a first timer. All in all, I am pretty happy with it. John Singer Sargent painted this in 1905 on a trip to Africa. His watercolors are known for their ability to capture light and shadow. He was an accomplished portrait artist as well (here's my favorite), but his watercolors became a passion and I think they are absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see one in person.....

No comments:
Post a Comment