Thursday, August 20, 2009

Well this is awkward....

Today my family and I left our cabin retreat with the sole purpose of finding free wifi internet connection. Wow, the family that used to be the slowskies is now addicted to facebook, blogging, and other web friendly people. We had my brother sit in the car with his internet connection box open, refereshing it when we drove past the pizza hut and the Mickey D's. We awkwardly walked into the McDonald's all with briefcases slung over our backs; found a seat in the back and tried to gain access. I felt like a creeper. Then we found out you have to pay to use it. GAH!!! That was a waste of embarrasment, really?!?! Anyway, we asked a local and they gave us directions to the library. We are currently in the most densley populated town in Ashe county...North Wilkesboro, with around 1000 people or so. We waltzed in, sat down and I was bombarded with facebook messages. yay. Oh and Laura, you'll love this... first one to chat with me on Facebook? LMC. hahaha ignore.
So for most of this adventure I have been sick and in bed, but there are lots of highlights and we aren't even halfway through. Turns out we went 6 miles too far up the mountain and had to turn around. This nice fellow named John in overalls on the side of the road sold us honey and pickles and told us how to find our gorgeous temporary home. This is John and JT chatting it up:
035

We drove back down and then found the tiny turn off to our cabin, took an unexpected, unnecessary rollercoaster like drive up a STEEP gravel path and then drove back down, parked and let the dog out only to have a heart attack as he went running aimlessly around and almost off a cliff. Luckily his spidey senses kicked in and he stopped.
We drove to Boone the next day. Picture hippies, moonshine, kayaking, and all this at the bottom of a mountain. Boone is the hometown of Appalachian State University. It was nice but I don't know if I could go to college there...you can only take so many dreadheads, tiedyed, incencse burning college kids who ride their bikes everywhere and have hemp backpacks for so long. Some days you need that, some days it's crazy ville and the moonshine makes you see straight. We ate at Boone Drug...a cute little drugstore cafe thing and then drove home. We have noticed in North Carolina or at least these few counties, that the major industry is Christmas Tree Farms that dot the countryside and that almost guaranteeabley, the church on the corner is Baptist or has no windows and most likely worships snakes. I love the mountains. And yes, those green dots are all individually laid out christmas trees:
064

The next experience is quite relatable to a Rob Zombie movie such as you know, House of 1,000 Corpses, I don't know it reminded me of that kind of thing. All the way up and down the mountain are signs saying "check out Wild Woody's" "Have to see it to believe it" Well I was hooked. Turned out to be this really creepy store full of antiques, mannequinns, and piano rolls. We walked in and saw this:
105

Cool looking right? I thought so too. Until I walked into a room with what I thought was a mannequinn until it moved and talked. Meet Blondie the proprieter's neice, lovechild, who knows what age she is, employee. I almost jumped into the rafters. Her voice was like Magenta from Rocky Horror and she talked and talked. There was some cool stuff, but the models were too much, I didn't need a record because I unfortunately don't own a player and the ice cream looked iffy...because wax model candles of ice cream covered the freezer. If anywhere there was a hole in the wall, Woody's was it. Now we are travelling again today, I'll update as soon as I can and try and get rid of this horrible cough I have. But for now, I am just happy I can cross off another goal on my list.... #39. Take a family vacation with Remington. I hope your journeys take you to places and days like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment