On the first, I had my first flat tire ever on the highway 30 minutes from school. My driver's side front tire completely blew out at about 55 MPH and I was able to successfully get over 3 lanes and onto the shoulder. Our spare was flat, so thank goodness for insurance, the repair man they sent out filled it up for us and changed our tire. On a doughnut we drove back to school, the wrong direction in my head, and slept on campus for an extra night. In the morning we got the tire changed and then went to fill up at the gas station. Pulling out of the gas station, my left rear tire went flat. I pulled into the Waffle House parking lot and Robert changed it to the spare. We returned to the Walmart and got all new tires. The flats happened exactly 12 hours apart from each other. 9:01pm and 9:01am.
The trip back to school was fine except for the traffic we got stuck in and a few squabbles born of being in a confined space for too long. The day started with stalling in the Sanderson parking lot and praying our car could make the trip ahead. Eager to get home for Christmas though, I got my first ever speeding ticket. I now owe the state of Virginia $121. I had gotten around a slow car and was in the left lane going down a hill and looking ahead to pass some trucks. I came over the hill alone in the left lane, saw the cleverly veiled cop car, looked the cop basically in the eye, and couldn't even brake before he pulled out behind me. I was going 80mph in a 70 so I can't even be mad. He was nice and let me off easier than he could have. After we dropped David off in Baltimore our low oil level light came on and the last 2 hours to home was one filled with little heart attacks on my part as every jump in my engine made me fear breaking down.
God's teaching me through these trials. Lots of things. I am not in control of everything no matter how much I want to be. He never leaves or forsakes me (he's provided safety and help and comfort through it all). We can't forgo the journey for the destination, because often the lesson is in the journey itself. We don't reach some point of realization in the distant future, but God is molding us at every turn. It took a lot for me to not get out of my car and scream profanities after the second flat and the ticket. That's exactly what I wanted to do, but God gave me peace. As we drove back to school the first time, Ruthie sang Be Still My Soul from her hymnal. I spent the entire 12 hour drive this time praying. He says, ask and you shall receive. I knew he was going to get us home in one piece, and he did! I didn't know I'd get a ticket though. Life doesn't go how I plan, no matter how meticulously I calculate. God's plan is so much grander and more beautiful, for which He is to be exalted and praised immeasurably.
I'm grateful for journeys, and the lessons that come with living through moments. As Jim Elliot said, "Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God."
Lord, I need thee. Every hour I need thee.
No comments:
Post a Comment