Thursday, June 27, 2013

God Willin' and the Creek Don't Rise

I have been in Mt. Rainier National Park for just shy of two months. So much has happened that I can hardly put the whirlwind into words. I am living in a two bedroom cabin with Bethany and Katie who are also on the ministry team. We have opened our house to guests often, bought a tea kettle, and begun collecting our friend Eric's outdoors toys for safe keeping (slackline, crash pad, chalk bag, volleyball, etc.) Working in hospitality seems to be suiting me. It is a good mix of public relations, organization and computer skills, and service. The National Park Inn is a quaint hotel on the West side of the park that has a great porch view of the mountain when she decides to come out. I have been journaling nearly everyday to keep all the adventures straight and begun collecting descriptions of trail conditions, flora and fauna, and people. The people are the most fascinating. Our ministry efforts have been met with both gratitude and disdain. We have a well attended Bible study on Wednesdays and have been going through Mark's gospel. We host worship services at Ohanapecosh campground every Sunday. In my time here I have hiked most days, finished 3 books (Travels With Charley, The Explicit Gospel, and Hannah Coulter), and spent much time listening to the sounds of voices, the rush of the river, and the rain on tin roofs. In addition to working the front desk I have been trained in the dining room as a waitress and sometimes serve as porter, busser, and housekeeper. The experience is invaluable. I am grateful.
This is a pleasant way of life. Everyone should take a summer to wander through the woods and mountains if afforded the opportunity. I have become a collector of stories, this is my new occupation and hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment