Last night Hannah and I drove down to Atlanta for the
Twenty One Pilots show at
Vinyl Atlanta. The opening bands were
The Silver Comet from ATL and
The Rocketboys from TX. The venue was intimate and we were pressed against a stage that came up only to our waists, close enough to both receive high fives from Tyler Joseph and feel the waves of sound go through us from Josh Dun's drumset. The band comes from Columbus, OH and being from Cincinnati, Hannah introduced me to them this semester. They have quickly become my favorite band of the year. When asked to describe their sound I always end up saying something confusing like "College rock rappers with clever lyrics, a piano and drumset, mosh with your mom music." See?

At the show last night Josh did a backflip into the crowd right next to Hannah, they did a drum dual in the middle of the crowd, Tyler was successfully awkward and adorable at the same time, and they brought the house down. They played both
Trees and
Car Radio which are beautiful and deep. They "encored" with
Guns for Hands and we all just went crazy jumping and screaming, hair and sweat flinging. It was awesome. This was an especially exciting show because there were only about 100-150 people there and it was the first concert that I had gone to because I really liked the band and was willing to drive to see them. Hopefully there will be more concerts like this in my future.
I really like Twenty One Pilots because they don't follow conventional musical formats. Their lyrics are fun but also really serious and intelligent. The duo is quick to remind you that they are just human too and we're all broken and struggling. Their friendship is strong and that is especially evident on stage with their witty banter and body language.
No comments:
Post a Comment