Friday, May 4, 2012

Goodbyes

Goodbyes rarely feel like real life to me. I often think the next morning I'll wake up to the smiling face of the ones I love who have left. So, it's becoming routine for me to work my way up to actually saying goodbye. After the rush of finals this week that left us all dazed and exhausted, saying goodbye has been dragging on, supplemented by beautiful memories being made. Before Hannah left for Cincinnati, I helped her pack the car and then her mom let me tag along for dinner at Urban Stack. (Strauss Burger = divine) I drove to Missy's house that same night and Iris came running out to greet me as usual. I hugged and kissed those kids so much!  Missy got down the world atlas and I showed them where I'd be going on my big adventure. Iris was overjoyed. Birch kept coming back for goodbye and goodnight kisses (who could resist!?) I read him Angelina on Stage before bed, tucked him in, and tickled some more hugs out of him. I climbed up to the girls' loft bed and hugged them both goodnight. Missy and I drank some black tea much too late at night and talked forever. We talked about womanhood, our church, books that we read as kids and books we are currently reading, life, Washington, New Zealand, and plans plans plans. Before I left she prayed with me and walked me to my car. I can't wait to see her and the kids soon! Katie, Charis, Elisabeth, and I spent one evening on the overlook having a midnight snack picnic with ice cream, craisins, chips and salsa, popcorn, apple juice, and pistachios. Throwing pistachio shells down on the stone steps and hearing them clatter like little pebbles was wonderful. As Katie and I touched our bare feet to the stones, we felt the warmth from the sun still glowing within them. We all sat on my bed and watched part of Roberta, with Ginger and Fred wowing us. Katie slept in my bed her last night because she had pulled the sheets and bedding off hers. It was comforting to cuddle one more time with a person I will deeply miss this summer. Saying bye to bubba was hard for me too, but I assume much less for him. Now the whole of my room is packed into my tiny closet, and I have said my goodbyes and am ready to GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment